Stitch Against the Cold Resource Guide
In an effort to help those in need this winter, we are collecting knitted, crocheted, or sewn hats as donations.
Your handmade hats can be knitted, crocheted, or sewn in any color, size, or pattern. Please make them out of materials that are easy to clean. Drop hats off at Maring-Hunt Library.
Below are some links to patterns and a list of books for you to check out. If you have questions, need yarn, or need help finding a pattern, email [email protected] or call the Information Desk at 765-747-8204.
Resources from Muncie Public Library
Suggested Library books with hat patterns
- Itty-bitty hats: cute and cuddly caps to knit for babies and toddlers (2006) By Anderson, Susan B.
- Quick knits (2006) By Sadler, Judy Ann
- Knit caps on circle looms: 10 toppers for the whole family (2015) By Layman, Denise (hoopla)
- Learn to crochet. Mosaic hats (2016) By Leapman, Melissa (hoopla)
- Crochet the perfect gift: designs just right for giving and ideas for every occasion (2014) By Goldin, Kat
Finding Patterns Online
Disclaimer: The following external links are provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Muncie Public Library of any of the products, services or opinions of the linked organization or individual. Muncie Public Library bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the linked site. Contact the linked site for answers to questions regarding its content.
Easy Hat Patterns -- Knitting:
- Knit a Hat on Straight Needles - This is a video tutorial about how to knit a hat only using straight needles. The simple pattern is written below the video. If you have never knit in the round before this would be a good place to start.
- Seven Dwarves Beanie from All Free Knitting - This pattern is knit in the round and you do not need to know how to purl. You will need double-pointed needles as the hat gets smaller.
- Rib-a-Roni Hat from Ravelry - This is a ribbed hat pattern. It is free to download.
- Ice Fishing Hat from Ravelry - This pattern is a free download. This hat has a pompom on the top but you can make it without it.
Easy Hat Patterns – Crochet:
- Magic Loop - Many crochet hat patterns start at the top and work down. They use a technique called the Magic Loop. Here is a tutorial with pictures and video on how to make the Magic Loop.
- Easy Peasy 30-minute Beanie - This hat starts at the top and needs a Magic Loop.
- Aspen Mountain Beanie - This pattern starts with the brim and is made with a chunky yarn.
- Moonstone Hat - This pattern uses single crochet stitches. It starts at the bottom and works it way up to the crown.
- Easy DIY Crochet Hat Pattern - No Magic Loop needed for this pattern. This pattern is written by a beginner and has pictures to guide you.. You crochet a rectangle, sew it up along the edge, and gather it at the top.
Websites for more free patterns
- Yarnspirations - All skill levels, knitting and crocheting patterns, free patterns that you can download and print
- Lion Brand Yarn - Free crochet and knitt patterns
- Knit Picks - These are just knitting patterns, free patterns
- Interweave has knitting and crocheting patterns. This site does want your email address for marketing purposes. There are also magazines, podcasts, and videos available.
- Hobbii - Crochet and knit patterns. You can filter your search by difficulty, size, and much more.