Muncie Public Library has been serving the Muncie and Center Township community since 1875. Carnegie Library, the first designated building and library, opened in 1904 thanks to a grant from steel industrialist Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie is Muncie Indiana's oldest public building and has been in continuous use as a library since its opening, one of the very few original Carnegie Libraries still functioning as a library. 
All four branches of Muncie Public Library have undergone renovations, name changes, and location changes as Muncie Public Library rises to the challenge of achieving its mission while serving a diverse and ever changing community.